Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Marlin Glenfield Model 25

Today, I stopped by a pawn shop and spotted a Marlin Glenfield Model 25 on the rack.  With its scuffs, abrasions, and surface rust, the pawnbroker did not seem to believe that it was very valuable and, for $75 out the door, I took it home.  He seemed happy to have sold it and I was quite pleased to get a great rifle for such a small sum.


There is conflicting data regarding the production dates of the Marlin Glenfield Model 25.  Some sources indicate that production began in 1972 while others provide both earlier and later starting dates. Production ceased in 1982; however, the action of the Marlin 925 is quite similar.  Like the 925, the Marlin Glenfield Model 25 is accurate, rugged, and well suited for the utilitarian tasks commonly reserved for .22 rifles.

When I got the Model 25 home, I looked it over and, finding no obvious defects, I loaded it up and gave it a try.  I did not shoot any groups on paper but it hit to point of aim and destroyed a bottle cap that was about fifteen yards away.  I then proceeded to take it inside and, after I scrubbed the rust off, it cleaned up to be an attractive little rifle.  As I cleaned it, I noticed that it was stamped "CAL 22 S-L-LR." and then I inspected the odd looking, little magazine.  Suddenly, I had an epiphany, quickly loaded it with .22 shorts, and took it back to my shooting area where I discovered that it fed them flawlessly, greatly extending the utility of the little rifle.


3 comments: