Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2016

The Walther P22

Introduced in 2002, the Walther P22 has led a somewhat controversial existence. While a cursory glance at online reviews might indicate various feeding issues (especially with standard velocity ammunition) and a host of fixes and improvements, it also appears that many owners are absolutely satisfied and find the design to be reliable.  Over the years, it has been improved upon and it seems like most of the controversy has arisen in earlier production pistols and bad magazines.


The other day, I had the opportunity to take a P22 plinking and a youthful shooter and I put 200 rounds through it.  The P22 is not a target pistol and it is not going to win any Bullseye matches but as a plinker, it is utterly delightful.  I did my shooting near dusk, offhand, at impromptu targets in front of a safe backstop at 20-30 feet with a mixed bag of Remington and CCI high velocity ammo and the P22 consistently delivered minute of beer can accuracy.  One stovepipe occurred in 200 rounds and I believe that this was caused by a novice shooter "limp wristing" the pistol.

Overall, the Walther P22 met and exceeded my expectations in a compact, modestly priced rimfire. A shade over 18 ounces, it is pleasant to carry, has visible sights that can be adjusted, offers interchangeable backstraps, ambidextrous safety and magazine release, and frankly, it is cute and fun to shoot.  Many pistols of European lineage have controls that are quirky and the P22 is no exception but they are easy to adapt to. The fact that it can be carried "cocked and locked" is a big plus for those who have never warmed up to double action semi-autos.  I like it and I believe it would make an excellent utility pistol.


3 comments:

  1. I have one of these too Ray, I enjoy the pistol just as you do, it was an affordable fairly accurate gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dwayne, sometimes the "fun factor" is most important!

      Delete
  2. I have one of these too Ray, I enjoy the pistol just as you do, it was an affordable fairly accurate gun.

    ReplyDelete